Monday, December 17, 2012

Struggles...

   Okay, so yesterday was really eye-opening day for me. At youth group we were reading Matthew 5:27-30...

27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.

   Having grown up in a Christian home, I've heard this (and just about everything else in the Bible) about a million times. So I thought, "I don't know where he (the youth leader) is going with this but I'll bite." Well, the title he used was "The Exceeding Sinfulness of Sin". We talked about how, in the eye's of a holy and perfect God, thinking about someone "that way" is the same as having an innappropriate relationship with them. And anger is the same as murder. He talked about how all the sins we commit are symptoms of the disease "Sin". The disease is like cancer, and the longer you don't fight, that harder it becomes to fight.
  
   I'm sure we all know what happened on Friday. And I'm sure you know where we went with this. Well we talked about how God says that anger is the same as murder. That means that when I get ticked at my brother, it's on the same level as what Adam did on Friday. And no matter what symptom sin appears, it all stems from the same place.

   Well, when my mom came to pick me up, she said we might have a guest for the night. She had met a lady whom she believed to be homeless. She felt like God was urging her to go find the lady and invite her to come stay at our house. Apparantly the woman seemed "rather harmless". But for whatever reason, I felt entirely opposed to having this woman come to our house. So the entire way to Kmart (where Mom left her) I kept going, "Please let her not be there. Please..." And we ended up not bringin the lady home (she refused to come with us). I am so ashamed about how I was thinking and feeling. I guess God wanted to teach me a lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment