Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Ring It In

   So, I know I didn't make a Christmas post yet, so here's a quick update. Well there was lots of baking, ham and potatoes, and birthday cake. And frankly, I was not in a Christmassy mood this year. I got so excited about baking and such that I completely burnt out in the first day. AND I finally ordered my best friend's Christmas present yesterday. So all in all, it was not the best Christmas. BUT it was the first Christmas with my new tía Norma. Te quiero, tía!
   And seeing as today is New Year's Eve, I thought it would be fitting to share with you some lessons I've learned over 2013.

I Learned (Or Am Learning)...

1. The value of spending private time with the Lord. I had not previously cared. And while I still don't spend time every day in the Word, I often find myself desiring it.
2. The value of Scripture memorization. I of late have developed a desire to memorize God's word and "store up [His] word in my heart." (Psalm 119:11)
3. Spanish. I have started slowly picking up on phrases and words here and there, such as frío (cold) and bonita (pretty).
4. Forgiveness. I am still struggling with this one. But God-willing I will learn to let go of wrongs done to me.
5. Emotional self-control. I struggle with controlling my emotions and my reactions to them. Just ask my mom, dad, brother, or best friend. This one's going to take a while, but I am learning to bite my tongue and move on.
6. Vocal self-control. I have a tendency towards not filtering my thoughts before they exit my mouth. But again, I'm working on it.
7. Mental self-control. Philippians 4:8 says, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." I myself am a glass half empty type of person (although that has been changing of late). I also hold on to anger and stress and worry. But God has been teaching me.
8. To act with intention. If I tell you I love you, I mean it. I have developed convictions and beliefs about the world and how it works and I will stand by them.
9. Better photography skills. I am NOWHERE near to being a professional. But I have improved!
10. Selectivity in my music and television shows. I used to not care, but now I turn on the radio or TV and, times than not, I focus on the message that is coming across and weigh it against the Bible.
11. Diligence. Nope, not diligent yet. A very slow process.

So I was trying for 16, or at least 13, but I couldn't think up that many... Oh well! Anyhow, here are 11 lessons I learned this past year. Have a Feliz Navidad tardía (Merry belated Christmas) and a feliz año nuevo (happy New Year)! See you in 2014!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment