Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Itasca!!!

   So we (Mom, Dad, Ben, Caleb, and I) went to Itasca State Park on the 30th and 31st. It was hot, buggy, and not so fun. I think I'm the only one who enjoyed any of it.
   Anyhow, we left Friday morning, arriving about lunchtime only to discover, due to the dry state of the trees, that a fire ban had been placed on the park from 8 am - 6 pm each day. And the mosquitoes were quick to decide that we were their lunch. Well, we had lunch, got set up, and headed out to the headwaters of the Mississippi River.
   While we were there, we met a couple on their honeymoon who had (separate from each other) done missions through YWAM (Youth With A Mission) and were planning on going into missions together. They were just waiting on God's direction. What an encouragement! And then that night after we went to bed, we got tons of rain, thunder, and lightning. I usually love storms, but this time was terrifying. While my family was sleeping in the tent (and they stayed dry), I had opted ahead of time to sleep in the van. So I was all alone in the van while rain that sounded like hail poured down and thunder shook the entire vehicle.
   But the thing is, I WASN'T alone... God was with me. So I prayed and recited Psalm 23 (always a comfort) and prayed again. I did this until I fell asleep. The next morning, Mom came to get something from the van (at about 5:15) and accidentally woke me up. I got up at 5:30 and, because the rest of the world was still in bed, decided to spend some time with God. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I was on Psalm 29...
Ascribe to the Lord, O heavenly beings,
    ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.

Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name;

    worship the Lord in the splendor of holiness.

The voice of the Lord is over the waters;

    the God of glory thunders,
    the Lord, over many waters.

The voice of the Lord is powerful;

    the voice of the Lord is full of majesty.

The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars;

    the Lord breaks the cedars of Lebanon.

He makes Lebanon to skip like a calf,

    and Sirion like a young wild ox.

The voice of the Lord flashes forth flames of fire.


The voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;

    the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
 The voice of the Lord makes the deer give birth
    and strips the forests bare,
    and in his temple all cry, “Glory!”
 The Lord sits enthroned over the flood;
    the Lord sits enthroned as king forever.
 May the Lord give strength to his people!
    May the Lord bless his people with peace!
   Then, we got ourselves packed up and on our way. Before we left, however, I insisted that we stop back at the gift shop so I could buy myself a souvenir. On the way home, we stopped at Pizza Ranch in Wedena, because it was Ben's birthday on Thursday. Got home, unpacked, and Caleb hung out for a while before going home. In the end, then, while it was not the most delightful trip, I enjoyed (parts of) it.

P.S. Pictures to come! (Click here)

No comments:

Post a Comment